Several residential roads were reconstructed in Van Buren Township, MI, as part of Wayne County’s Local Roads Initiative Program that was established as a matching program for Township road repair, resurfacing or reconstruction projects. Originally constructed in the 1950s, Venetian Avenue, Dewitt Road and Jeanette Avenue had severely deteriorated with potholes and alligator cracking, both indicative of structural failure. With support from the Township’s Board of Trustees and residents who rallied to obtain the necessary signatures, a Special Assessment District (SAD) was formed to move engineering for the project forward.

The Wayne County Department of Public Services will reimburse 80% of the construction costs and the Township’s SAD will provide the other 20% through annual collections over the five-year life of the district. The project was a great candidate for the County’s program because the Township had already completed ditch and driveway culvert improvements along the roads.

Wade Trim provided design and construction administration, and assisted the Township with the SAD and bidding processes. In addition, Wade Trim helped the Township secure a Hazard Mitigation Grant that funded the ditch improvements.